Translate

Friday, August 28, 2015

Preperations and Study Abroad Packing List

I've spent the past two weeks spending time with my parents and my weekends in Morgantown getting myself ready and seeing friends. I've gotten to boulder twice, see some concerts, have sorted through some of the outstanding items left on my "I'm going to Study Abroad To-Do List," and still get to see both parents before I leave which is awesome (They're dropping me off, thanks Mom and Dad!). I'm trying to see as many people as possible before I head and it's been really awesome driving through Morgantown seeing friends, participants from this past summer on Adventure,  and some family along the way. Come find me y'all! :)

Today I came home from mom's and began. . .packing. Oh yeah. (After a CrRaZy adventure trying to find a WV State Flag, which I did after six stops) It's been an exciting adventure, but I have been mentally preparing myself over the week by researching different packing lists and beginning to comprise my own. I first sorted all my belongings (from the first draft of 'to-go' items) into like piles (having prior packed up my belongings I'm not taking) for determining what is there and what is and is not going. I then checked off my list as I began making the First Final To-Go pile. It's a big pile. The First Final To-Go Pile (F.F.T.GoP. for short) will be soon methodically packed into my backpacking backpack/suitcase, my suitcase, and my carry-on backpack. I will be checking to see if it is cheaper to mail or bring my guitar as a carry-on, as well.

I will post my Final Final To Go Pile (also F.F.T.GoP. for short) in another blog entry soon. Please post comments/give advice/offer feedback on anything you think about the packing list!

 I would like to discuss how I'm packing my stuff up for the trip. I will have one carry-on backpack, 27L, that I will use as my school pack and hiking/climbing pack. It is the Kelty Redtail. I like the size, the water bladder/laptop holder, the compression straps, the two water-bottle nets, and the two small outside pockets for organization, as well as the waist/sternum straps and multiple lashing points/handles. For one of my checked bags, I will use a standard large-ish suitcase with wheels and front pockets. My other checked bag is the Osprey Farpoint 70. This pack is very neat and I'm excited to backpack Europe with it! It is a backpack/luggage, with stow-away straps, locking zipper, removable daypack (an extra 15L of packing space!), compression straps, and side handles. Very exceptional traveller's pack that I'm excited to test out, you should check it out.

Here is a link to the google docs version of my Study Abroad Packing List:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14QInyy7OkkDW_Vtf7-nxAqRa1I0zFES_82dLlAKoZms/edit?usp=sharing

I am very excited to take off on Monday! I'm feeling ready and certainly anxious to get rolling. I have felt a lot of different feelings throughout this process; studying abroad is a crazy roller coaster for me and I haven't even left yet! Mostly good, some tougher, but all helping me move forward!

Allons-y!
Hyland Markle

No comments:

Post a Comment